GSoC 2017 : Weekly Report #1
Key accomplishments last week:
- Issue #129: Use cleaner syntax for Control structures in View templates
- Issue #123: Allow search by location (filename)
- Issue #119: Improve generated issues content
- Issue #120: Simplify reports statuses
Key tasks that stalled:
Tests coverage for code touched in #151 to be added
Tasks in the upcoming week:
Before the coding period started, I started out with moving the code-base for Error Reporting server to more phpMyAdmin-like coding styles (which is in fact quite similar to PSR-4 with few exceptions) in #131 and #132.
I had talked to Michal and actually started the work on the project a few weeks before the actual GSoC coding period started. Initially I spent time fixing bugs from the production logs (ex. #134, #135, #139, #141, #142), which helped to get started with the codebase.
The first task from the proposal that I implemented turned out to be #129. The views were strayed with control structures with a lot of opening and corresponding closing braces. This PR changed the view files to use alternative syntax for the control structures.
The next task (#123) that I picked up was to allow searching/filtering reports (on Reports listing page) using Filename. This helps the developer in differentiating between all the similar errors/exceptions but originating from different files.
The tasks #119 and #120 were related in a sense both were related with the interactions that our error reporting system has with Github. #119 focused on improving the content that we add while creating a new linked-issue for a report or while adding a link of an report to an existing issue on Github.
#120 helped to simplify the long list of existing issue states and they were mapped to a simpler (and more Github-related statuses) as ‘New’, ‘Forwarded’, ‘Resolved’.
For the next week, I would be targeting to implement #31 which aims to provide an email notification (to developers at phpmyadmin.net) about new reports being added on the Error Reporting Server.