RFEs and Bugs!
As I stated in my previous post, I started to contribute to phpMyAdmin from last few weeks. And these last weeks have been quite eventful and wonderful.
The basic way to contribute to majority of the open-source projects is to take a cue for the project developers and start with some basic bugs and RFEs (Requested Feature enhancements) on their tracker. I did the same with PMA.
Marc’s advice to look out for newer bugs and RFEs really helped! And I started working on RFE #1606.
#1606 is regarding adding a filter to the Process list. The ‘Status’ > ‘Processes’ currently showed all the processes by default even the sleeping ones! This feature is basically to hide out the irrelevant processes by a way of a filter while showing only the ‘executing’ ones. I implemented the desired feature and sent a pull request.
Marc self-assigned the pull request and helped me through making the code and the feature better and finally it got merged! And that was one feeling! First patch accepted!
Next one was a Bug : #4753. This was a CSS bug and that the textarea input fields were out of line when compared to other fields on ‘Insert (into table) form’. Brimming with confidence after the first acceptance, I fixed it and send a pull request and yippie! Second Merged!
I knew this was just a start! I had begun to enjoy PMA development and was actively looking out for new bugs and feature requests to be reported.
More to follow in the next post!