My Project Description for WordCamp.org Forms Plugin
Describe your idea in detail:
I am going to work upon the “Forms_Plugin” Idea on the WordPress GSoC 2014 Page(Link). As described in the Project Idea on the Page, WordPress uses a lot of ‘forms’ on their community sites (like WordCamp.org) for various purposes like applications, contact forms, post submissions, sign-up forms, surveys, etc. They currently use a combination of Poll daddy surveys and Jetpack forms (Commercial ones).
This project would focus on creating a forms/surveys plugin based on the needs of the WP community outreach team to support Word-Camps and Meet-ups. (On Completion, The Plugin will be offered for free on WP Plugins Repository). The Plugin will be developed mainly keeping in mind the problems faced and features needed by WordCamp.org but will provide enough Functionality for General Purpose use.
The Detailed Explanation of the Project can be better understood with how the plugin will be used.
The Basic Process of the Plugin would be as follows :
- The Website ‘Administrator’ will go to ‘WC_Forms’ (A New Post_Type) in the main admin navigation menu -> Click on a ‘Add New Form’ Button. The New Form will have some common base forms to start with or he may create one from Scratch. He will customize it in a user friendly GUI and den Save the Form, get the Shortcode to be inserted somewhere else or directly Publish it to a page.
- The ‘Administrator publishes the Form into a Page’. The Form is available to Public to fill out.
- A ‘Foreign User fills out the Form & Submits’. As He submits, the submitted Data is stored in wp_posts with ‘WC_Feedback’ as Post_type with a Proper Structure.
- The Administrator may go to ‘Form_Feedbacks’ in the Main Admin Menu. He can see the submissions separated with respect to different forms. He would be able to view/export the “Submitted Forms”, for all the forms on the site, separately.The Rest of the working/options available can be better understood with the Features of the Plugin listed below.
Features of the Plugin :
- Ability to add various types of Fields with innumerable properties like parent field option(For example, A Field will be visible only if a particular option is selected in the previous field) and many more
- Ability to Populate some fields of some other Post_types from the Data submitted through one form (For Example, A Speaker Fills out a Call for Speakers Form, the plugin will automatically populate some fields in Speakers Post_type so as to automate the process of copying and pasting it.)
- The Plugin will provide an option to send the Admin as well as the Form Submitter, an email about the Recent Form Submission.
- Export/Import Form Feedbacks as CSV.
- Base forms with some standard questions (Like Call for Speakers, Call for Organizers etc.) to start off and then build over it with so as to save the effort and time plus an ability to make a whole custom one from scratch as well
- Basic CSS for the form elements(according to the theme) with an option adding a different class to the elements.
- Once made, a Form will have generated a shortcode which can be used in any other post type as well.