Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016 – Week8

In the last week, I could contribute slightly less as I spent some time working on the python library pcap_to_ditg (related to my research project at the university and unrelated to PMA as such). Friday and Saturday also saw slightly less activity as I was travelling home for the Diwali festivities upcoming in the next week.

While using the debugging feature of phpMyAdmin in reproducing some other issue, I managed to discover some issues with the debugging feature of phpMyAdmin as it was throwing a JS error while trying to look at the traces and arguments of the functions which were called without any arguments. I reported it and fixed the issue at #12639.

Since version 10.1.2, MariaDB has introduced password validation plugins (for ex. simple_password_check) for validating if the password provided while creating a new user satisfies the  minimum requirements or not. phpMyAdmin tried to create the new user using CREATE USER … IDENTIFIED VIA .. USING … where we used the hashed password which the validating plugins reject as they cannot check for the complexity from the hash. So, we now check if any of these plugins are active in MariaDB and provide a cleartext password in such cases.

I worked on a few JS issues which we have received regarding our TIME, TIMESTAMP, DATETIME, DATE fields’ input in phpMyAdmin’s Table Insert page and the Grid edit feature on Browse page, but the work on these is still on-going and they should be fixed in coming week(s).

Next week might have a similar focus on bug-fixing, some issue assessment of remaining unattended issues and some refactoring. I might find slightly less time next week due to festivities, but having spent slightly more than scheduled time in the first two weeks of this month, it should not be much of a problem overall.

Handled issues:
* #12650 Error when rename table with whitespace at start or end
* #12649 Bug in changing the datatype via change action
* #12533 Incorrect selected record statement counts for complex queris using group by and derived tables
* #12472 Setup issues
* #12366 Cannot create a new user (MariaDB)
* #12639 ‘Show trace’ in Console generates JS error for functions in query’s trace called without any arguments

pcap_to_ditg Python library released

Yesterday, I packaged and released my first python library pcap_to_ditg‘s version 0.1.1.

The library can be used to convert the Packet capture files generated from Wireshark, TCPDump etc. into DITG script files. This would make it possible to read a trace file generated from any port of any topology and replay the traffic exactly onto your custom topology. I hope this would go on and help the network researchers while testing their prototypes in real traffic scenarios.

Since last semester, I had been working with Dr. K. Haribabu, who is an Assistant professor at BITS Pilani currently working on the research areas like Software Defined Networking (SDN), Hybrid and cost-effective SDN deployment, P2P networks etc. I co-authored a paper with him which was presented in July, 2016 at the International Network Conference 2016, Frankfurt, Germany. For the performance evaluation, we were in need of replicating real Network traffic and check how our prototype delivers and scales.

I researched and tried out various traffic generators mentioned in this list, but no one was fulfilling our requirements exactly. Moreover, even after one gets the real network traces (for ex, we used one here), since there is no prior knowledge of the topology of the network of the trace, it’s not very simple to replicate it as it is. So, I manually mapped the hosts and IPs in the traces to the hosts in our test topology and we decided that we would use the DITG script files to replay the traffic. Once the mapping is complete, the library would generate the script files for all our hosts, which can then be run as it is.

The library installation and usage details are available in README on Package Index page or on my Github (where mostly its future development should go on).

Share it with your friends if you know someone who might need to use it. Contributions in Pull Requests, Feature Requests, Bug reports etc. are always welcome (through Github tracker).

Weekly phpMyAdmin contributions 2016 – Week7

The last week was again mostly focused on bug-fixing along with working on some fixes for the recently raised security issues (and so are not included in the issues listed below).

Similar to last week, I also continued looking at previously unattended and unlabeled issues on the tracker. Some fixes for #12366 (which is about using password in CREATE USER statement while the *_password_check plugins in MariaDB are active) and #12472 (which is related to wrong DSN shown in phpMyAdmin setup page with config method) are currently made as PRs to get a review before merging them.

The issue #12610 would also be fixed once the new SQL parser is released and is updated to the recent version in the main repository. I have also made the fix for #12533 but I am waiting for a feedback from the original reporter to see if it has fixed the problem as expected.

Next week might focus on bug-fixing, some issue assessment of remaining unattended issues and some refactoring.

Handled issues:
* #12638 Enum values evaluated to zero in 4.6.4
* #12338 Designer reverts to first saved ER after EACH relation create or delete
* #12634 Drop DB error in import if DB doesn’t exist
* #12633 Add ENUM column fails
* #12625 Broken Edit links in query results of JOIN query
* #12630 Generating incorrect query for table creation
* #12350 Visiting url_params is string & not array
* #92 ON UPDATE option in a field definition of TIMESTAMP type with precision is not parsed appropriately